Shaw’s History: A Summary
- The supermarket gets its name from the founder, George C. Shaw.
- He opened the Shaw’s China Tea store in Portland Maine, in the year 1860. The store’s first tea expert was Ah Foo, a man of Asian descent, who served teas to customers.
- The tea shop’s success led him to start stocking groceries and fresh produce. His second store was opened in 1872, also in Portland.
- Shaw’s Supermarkets, Inc resulted from the merger of two companies, the George C. Shaw Company and BPM markets. Maynard A. Davis had founded BPM in 1899.
- Davis bought Shaw’s business in 1919 but operated the two retail businesses as separate entities for the next 60 years.
- BPM stores would re-brand to Shaw’s Supermarkets in 1978, with the official merger happening in 1979. What followed was a period of more growth with new locations and distribution centers opened.
- Self-checkout was first implemented by Shaw’s Supermarkets in 2002.
- In 2004, Albertsons bought Shaw’s & Star Supermarket.
Location and Working Hours
- Number of stores: 130 (but numbers may fluctuate year by year as more stores are opened or shut down)
- States with Shaw’s locations: 5, including Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont. It’s the second-largest chain in New England.
- Working hours: 6:00 a.m. — 10:00 p.m.
Shaw’s Deals and Sales
You can purchase a wide range of items across different departments that regularly have Shaw’s circular. Some items include bread, prepared meals, batteries, office supplies, condiments, pasta, seafood, poultry, fresh fruits & vegetables, cereals, Indian foods, Asian foods, Latino foods, and more.
Which Items Have Regular Shaw’s Weekly Deals and Coupons?
Departments with weekly deals include meat & seafood, bakery, deli, dairy & eggs, canned goods, pantry, international, pets, household, snacks, and produce.
To find Shaw’s new ad online, first sign up for Shaw’s account. Then, find a store based on your location or zip code. From the departments’ page, you just have to select “Sales.”
Shaw’s also have pharmacies that provide basic health services and prescription refills. Their website is also modern and easy to use.
Top Ways to Save at Shaw’s
1) Download Shaw’s App
You can load up on digital coupons on the go, view the latest Shaw’s sales flyer this week, add items to your shopping list, find offers easily, and even sign up for gas rewards. Two more apps might interest you, Shaw’s Online Shopping app and Shaw’s pharmacy app.
2) Earn cash by recommending a friend
This Shaw’s deal earns you cash rewards of up to $50 whenever you recommend a friend. Your referral has to sign up and make an order for you to earn $10.
Orders can be delivered through normal shipping at $3.99 or by Express shipping, which is a paid service that costs $9.99 per month. The trial period is two weeks.
3) Take advantage of Just for U deals
“Just for U deals” are personalized based on the items you regularly purchase. You can also get gas rewards. Occasionally, free items are offered to Just for U members.
Shaw’s Weekly Flyer - Save more with Rabato
You don’t need a print version of Shaw's weekly flyer. The digital version is available all-week long at Rabato. Find hot offers during Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, and other holidays.
Get to see specials on items ranging from cereals to L’Oreal cosmetics. You’ll also find New England Patriots product picks and earn reward points when you buy them. Other deals include mix & match, 2 for less, BOGO deals, etc. Also, clip coupons digitally by scanning the bar codes in the flyer.